From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] defect management block device
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:48:55
1 On Monday 24 March 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
2 > > Just a thought, maybe you know some aspect of disks that I don't
3 > > and can see where this would be useful. From where I sit, I can;t
4 > > see any such use-case.
8 > While I see what Alan is saying, I'm pretty sure LVM does it.  Device
9 > Drivers -> Multiple Devices Driver Support -> Bad Block Relocation
10 > Device Target.  I've never played with it but I assume there's a lot
11 > of good reading on it.
12
13 Which gives me an idea on where such a thing might be useful - RAID
14
15 If SMART (or something conceptually similar) detects that a drive might
16 be failing and be beyond the range of the drive's ability to cope, it
17 could raise an event and move the blocks used to another disk. This
18 could give another level of data protection rather than just simply
19 relying on multiple copies as current RAID schemes mostly do
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list