From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdepim-4.6.0 woes
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:39:05
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 05:53:15 Dale wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 22 June 2011 18:02:39 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> But all this was mild compared to what I did yesterday. You know that
5 > >> notice on the console when you get sudo wrong? It says the incident
6 > >> "will be reported"
7 > >>
8 > >> OK. But to whom? On my shell boxes it gets reported to me. And
9 > >> yesterday this is what it said:
10 > >>
11 > >> <host> : Jun 21 11:55:25 :<user> : 1 incorrect password attempt ;
12 > >> TTY=pts/194 ; PWD=/some/path ; USER=root ; COMMAND=init 6
13 > >>
14 > >> 500 concurrent sessions on that box is routine, it's a major gateway
15 > >> server. That poor user has not recovered yet.
16 > >
17 > > You mean, he (or she) will eventually recover?
18 > >
19 > > Am curious though, why the attempt for a reboot?
20 >
21 > I was curious about that too. I don't use sudo, I'm the only geek in
22 > the chair here, but I don't think I would want to reboot just because my
23 > typing was off.
24
25 I do use sudo for some scripts as I don't want the script to have root-access
26 to some of the servers and I definitely don't want to add suid-bits to random
27 programs.
28
29 At my home, I'm not the only one who knows his/her way around computers. But
30 neither of us would consider it a good idea to simply reboot a machine.
31
32 > Given what Alan runs and the amount of people it affects, I'm surprised
33 > it is set up that way. Question. You changed that behavior yet Alan?
34
35 I'm guessing Alan got that because it's not allowed with sudo. If it was, the
36 password-failure wouldn't have been listed.
39 Joost