From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:56:41
1 On 1/5/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 1/5/06, Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Calculating world dependencies |
4 > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-perl/PodParser-1.22".
5 > > (dependency required by "mail-filter/spamassassin-3.1.0" [binary])
6 >
7 > This is something that sometimes occurs when you get an out-of-sync
8 > portage tree (you are syncing at the same time as the mirror is
9 > updating).
10
11 The information in /usr/portage showed the new information, so I don't
12 *think* that was the case here.
15 > The fix is to just emerge --sync again.
16 >
17 > It can also happen if you use NFS for portage but do not keep the
18 > cache up-to-date.
19 >
20 > > re-merge it without --usepkg. If I recall correctly, I also would
21 > > have had to remove the file "/var/cache/edb/remote_metadata.pickle",
22 >
23 > The portage cache should be updated automatically at the end of every
24 > sync. So no, removing this file would not be necessary.
25
26 Well for some reason it wasn't. Hmm, very odd.
29 > > but I started using NFS for my portage instead. That file has
30 > > information about packages, and their dependencies, so I looked in it,
31 > > and it had the wrong information.
32 >
33 > Are you also using NFS for /var/cache/edb? If not, then you need to
34 > run emerge --metadata.
35
36 No, but thanks for pointing that out though. I'll be sure to update
37 the metadata next time.
40 > -Richard
41 >
42 > PS: Please avoid top-posting here.