From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Modules
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:08:22
1 On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:52:42AM +0100, Ignas Anikevicius wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I was wondering if it is possible to have a tool with which it would be
5 > possible to have external modules installed for _all_ kernel versions in
6 > my computer. Now I am using 2.6.38 kernel, but would like to try 2.6.39
7 > and the thing is that I would like to have tp_smapi and phc-intel
8 > modules in both kernels. Is it possible to have it without any serious
9 > hacking?
10 >
11 > I have only 3 ideas how I could achieve that:
12 > * Making a custom ebuild, which would build the modules, but install
13 > itself as a different package depending on the kernel version (eg
14 > tp_smapi-2.6.39-gentoo)?
15 > * Making a custom ebuild, which would build the modules for all kernel
16 > versions in one go... (is this possible?)
17 > * patching the gentoo-sources each time.
20 kernel modules are CONFIG_PROTECTED, so they are not automatically
21 removed when you uninstall / remerge the package (you have to remove
22 them manually), so you just have to remerge the package after you change
23 the /usr/src/linux symlink
24 there is also the module-rebuild utility, that automatically remerges
25 packages that installed a kernel module
26
27 i.e.
28
29 ln -sfn linux-VERSION1 /usr/src/linux
30 module-rebuild -X rebuild
31 ln -sfn linux-VERSION2 /usr/src/linux
32 module-rebuild -X rebuild
33 ...
34
35 you might have to do