From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new printer suggestions?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 03:36:02
1 On Sep 25, 2012 5:55 AM, "Matthew Marlowe" <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Peter Humphrey
5 > <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > On Monday 24 September 2012 18:45:29 James wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....
9 > >> HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,
10 > >> unix and bsd systems......
11 > >>
12 >
13 > Both Xerox and HP have had good cross platform support and make some
14 > sturdy reliable printers that can last decades.
15 > The problem of course is that they both have their good/bad years and
16 > can be relatively expensive for the laser MFP's and associated
17 > supplies.
18 >
19 > I used to buy HP laserjets only, but then their costs went sky high
20 > while reliability and features went down. I switched to using Xerox
21 > Workcenters....but Xerox has a tendency to end-of-life troublesome
22 > models early and requires active support contracts for any real
23 > support after the initial purchase support period. On the other hand,
24 > the color laser MFP purchased in 2006 for the home office is still
25 > going strong.
26 >
27 > To my knowledge, Brother had a better reputation decades ago but
28 > recently is known more as a low-budget competitor.
29 >
30 > I'd definitely second that you focus any evaluation on the printer
31 > implementation of postscript...postscript is the true universal
32 > language in this industry.
33 >
34 > If you don't have any major feature needs, than also pay attention to
35 > the standby power usage, time to warm up for prints, power needs
36 > during startup, and cost per page for color and b/w prints. My MFP
37 > draws a huge amount of power briefly when it begins the day, uses
38 > solid ink that normally lasts me 9-12 months and then about every 2
39 > years I have to spend ~$150 for an updated maintenance kit(toner?). I
40 > can live with all that, but I'll probably be paying more attention to
41 > power util on the next purchase 5-10 years or so from now.
42 >
43 > Matt
46 Just to add my experience re: Brother...
47
48 In my previous employment, we had a Brother MFP Color LED printer, its
49 operating cost was far lower than HP Laserjet Color (toner cartridge is 100
50 USD, about 40% as expensive as HP's, but each cartridge lasts significantly
51 longer, like, about twice the life of the latter). Support is great,
52 probably because we bought one of the premium models.
53
54 Unfortunately, it was a Windows-only environ, so I can't tell if it has
55 good Linux support.
56
57 Rgds,
58 --