From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:20:20
1 Am Montag, 25. September 2017, 02:33:13 CEST schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> Is this an officially approved technique?? it is DIRTY.
4 > >
5 > > I imagine that it is sanctioned, otherwise why would there be a
6 > > --changed-deps flag to emerge? Does seem dirty. Glad you asked the
7 > > question. Would love to learn why this is allowed. In my experience, it
8 > > happens quite often.
9 >
10 > Is this recent experience in the main repository? This is something
11 > QA started cracking down on maybe a year ago. It is definitely
12 > problematic, because portage won't pull in the new dependency until
13 > you re-install the package, which means the dependency could get
14 > removed/etc. I'd have to dig up the details around the policy - it
15 > might be allowed in very limited circumstances (there could be reasons
16 > to change a dep that won't actually break anything already installed).
17 >
18 > I ended up putting --changed-deps in my update script because I'd
19 > rather not deal with the bugs this can cause.
20
21 I think the debate somewhere ended at "it's maintainer's call, weighing
22 unnecessary rebuilds versus technical correctness".
23
24 Not sure how time-consuming a qcustomplot is.
28 Andreas K. Hüttel
29 dilfridge@g.o
30 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)