From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel update messed up console encoding
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:26:52
1 * Florian v. Savigny (lorian@××××××××.de) [28.02.09 11:35]:
4 > Dear Sebastian,
7 > > there still is /etc/conf.d/consolefont that could mess up things
8 >
9 > The only variable that's set there is CONSOLEFONT="cp1250". I would
10 > not understand how the font could have an influence on the characters
11 > *produced* by the console, and it seems also difficult to explain why
12 > the shell and Emacs, which of course use the same console font, behave
13 > differently. (Under the shell, it looks fine while you type it,
14 > i.e. you cannot tell that your u umlaut actually consists of two
15 > bytes. But Emacs displays the lower-case umlauts followed by a space
16 > (i.e. two characters, but not those that most of us are probably quite
17 > familiar with, i.e. which you see when UTF-8 is displayed as if it
18 > were ASCII), while for upper-case umlauts and the eszett complains
19 > that e.g. "\204 is undefined".)
20 >
21 what does file say about the offending files?
22 Emacs always uses the enconding of the file, where as an redirect uses
23 the locale, iirc.
24
25 I assume you know the options->mule menu in emacs, there is a lot to
26 help with encoding issues...
27
28 > As to the locale, where can I look that up ... ? I seem to remember I
29 > purposely use no locale (or "C", I think), but I don't remember where
30 > I set that.
31 >
32 .bashrc
35 > Thanks very much!
36 >
37 > Florian
41 Sebastian
44 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
45
46 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de