From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:16:50
1 On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from linux,
5 > but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad blocks.
6
7 it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way it is
8 working 'without problems'.
12 > Here is dmesg: http://capsel.inten.pl/disk/dmesg
13 >
14 > cat /dev/sda gives no output, fdisk fails with "unable to
15 > read /dev/sda". smartctl does not report model or serial, there is no
16 > error log... hdparm shows "Invalid exchange" or
17 > "Inappropriate ioctl for device", all commands failed.
18 >
19 > What else can I do?
20
21 maybe ask kernel devs if there is a way to access the drive even with a
22 capacity of 0 to copy everything from it before you stuff it in the garbage
23 can?