From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86. Got it!
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:50:08
1 On Saturday 13 February 2010 19:43:47 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > > There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
3 > > Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
4 > > surprise at all.
5 >
6 > Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
7 > will soon be going. ;-)
8
9 Considering the enormous complexity of modern PC's, I'm always amazed that nay
10 of the bits and pieces inside them ever work at all
11
12 :-)
13
14 > > Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
15 > > options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
16 > > make it a cheap fix as well.
17 >
18 > I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
19 > behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
20 > gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
21 > proprietor said I needed to send back both RAM sticks (since they have
22 > a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
23 > my machine remains working.
24
25 Nice to see that decent responsible vendors still exist out their who do
26 TheRightThing(tm) for their customers, even the ones with little orders.
27
28 I get that level of service from Dell, but I think that's more because we're
29 ordering 1000+ servers a year all with extended 3-5 year warranty and Next Day
30 Corporate Service Contract
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com