From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 11:11:27
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 September 2012 10:02:49 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 120905 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:42:56 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>>> What is the best line for /etc/fstab ? The only example I have is
6 > :
7 >>>> 'tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0'
8 >>>>
9 >>>> This doesn't seem to limit the size in any way.
10 >>> 'man mount' explains it all ...
11 >> Well, it outlines it (smile).
12 >>
13 >>> ... but the option you want is size, which defaults to 50 % .
14 >> That looks ok : I assume that's the maximum,
15 >> ie it doesn't take up that much memory unless it's needed.
16 > The kernel only uses as much tmpfs as it needs at any given time. If it
17 > needs more than has been specified, it starts rolling less active parts
18 > out to swap. So if you don't have a lot of memory, you can still specify
19 > more tmpfs than you have RAM and everything will just work.
20 >
21 > The only reason I specify a large tmpfs is to be able to compile Libre
22 > Office. At other times it just isn't used.
26 I let mine default to half of ram but when I need to compile LOo, then I
27 have to manually increase it. I guess 8Gbs isn't enough. Come to think
28 of it, I updated LOo the other day and it didn't complain about it being
29 less than 8Gbs. I guess it doesn't need as much as it used to. Code
30 clean up??
31
32 I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages work
33 directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the difference
34 in compile times is just not there.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!