From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best route forward?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:25:24
1 On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:40:11 -0800 (PST)
2 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I installed KDE yesterday via "emerge kde -vuD", and just remembered
5 > today about "kde-meta", which installs a lot more. In running "emerge
6 > kde-meta -vuD", I get 250 new packages, and 245 blocks, with 1 upgrade.
7 > What is the _best_ path forward? Should I just stick with my current
8 > build of kde? Or is there an easy way to remove all the blocks and then
9 > push in kde-meta? Is it worth it?
10 >
11 > TIA,
12 >
13 > Ben
14 > --
15 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
18 There are two kind of kde installs, or three, if you ask me.
19
20 You can install "kde". That will pull into your system the big
21 packages just like they are released by the kde team. That means,
22 several big monoliths, like kdebase, kdenetwork, kdegraphics and so on.
23
24 You can install using split ebuilds as well. For example, instead
25 of installing kdebase, you only need a couple of programs. So, you
26 just install, let's say, konqueror and konsole, instead of kdebase.
27 Of course, you can install all the pieces of kdebase using split
28 ebuilds, and both installs would be equivalent. The downside is that
29 you would need to install lots of small packages, instead of a big
30 monolithic one.
31
32 That way you save some space, but, what's more important for me, you
33 save hours of compilation for things that you will never use.
34
35 The other solution is to use meta-ebuilds. For example, you can
36 install kdebase-meta, instead of kdebase. This is kind of an "hybrid"
37 approach. When you emerge kdebase-meta, you end with the same that you
38 would get by installing kdebase, but it will be done using split
39 ebuilds. The good thing is that you will still get the modulatiry,
40 without having to install all the split ebuilds by hand, because
41 the meta-package pulls all of the components of kdebase but using
42 split ebuilds as dependencies.
43
44 So, you already know why you are getting that big list of packages to
45 install: you are not going to get anything more if you install those
46 packages, because they are a split version of the big kde packages
47 you already installed.
48
49 The blockers are simple to understand: you can't have kdebase and
50 kdebase-meta installed at the same time. They are equivalent, it
51 would be a nonsense anyway. So, all the components of a given meta-
52 package, block the matching monolithic package. That way portage
53 can prevent weird things like the one you were trying to do :)
54
55 I hope it made sense, if not, ask for clarification.
56
57 Regards.
58 --
59 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>