From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 18:49:08
1 On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 19:00:43 GMT Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 28/12/2016 16:58, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > Hello, Neil.
4 > >
5 > > On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:09:10PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > >> Don't forget split infinitives - the construct that is absolutely
7 > >> forbidden, but no one knows why. I had a production editor who picked
8 > >> me
9 > >> up every time I used one. I pointed out that that battle was lost as
10 > >> soon
11 > >> as Star Trek became mainstream.
12 > >
13 > > I have a theory about this. If you write "we need to thoroughly think
14 > > this through", what is the verb? It tends to become "to
15 > > thoroughlythink" rather than "to think". This coupling of adverb and
16 > > verb into a single word is probably undesirable. Hence, no split
17 > > infinitives, please.
18 > >
19 > > For what it's worth, in German, when there's a "zu" (to) in front of an
20 > > infinitive, it is _never_ separated by even the first part of a
21 > > separable verb, never mind an adverb.
22 >
23 > Well, German is a language after all, a real one with definite rules.
24 >
25 > English is a mish-mash of any good (and sometimes not so good) ideas
26 > that English people came into contact with. Oddly enough, of the 5 major
27 > input sources to modern English, the smallest contribution is from
28 > English itself. Go figure :-)
29 >
30 > As for split infinitives, no-one familiar with types of words would ever
31 > think "thoroughly" is a verb, it's an adverb. The verb is "to think".
32
33 Actually, the finite verb was "need". The bit about thinking was in a
34 subsidiary noun clause forming the object of the word "need".
35
36 > English is there so speakers can use it to communicate, not so that
37 > natural language parsers can have an easy time or grammarians can sit
38 > smugly and "be correct". The people created English, let the people
39 > decide what is proper
40
41 "Proper" is a good word here, as would be "conventional". "Correct" is a
42 very bad word in reference to natural languages, in spite of its popularity.
43 It implies that only one answer can ever be right, as in arithmetic.
46 Regards
47 Peter