From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is lshw reporting correctly?
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:36:02
1 On Wednesday 24 Dec 2014 09:14:43 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 Dec 2014 21:53:07 Poison BL. wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > This is what I see when I plugged in two memory modules:
5 > > > =======================================================
6 > > >
7 > > > *-memory
8 > > >
10 > > > physical id: 2f
11 > > > slot: System board or motherboard
12 > > > size: 16GiB
13 > > >
14 > > > *-bank:0
15 > > >
17 > > > product: Array1_PartNumber1
18 > > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer1
19 > > > physical id: 0
20 > > > serial: A1_SerNum1
21 > > > slot: DIMM_A1
22 > > > size: 8GiB
23 > > > width: 64 bits
24 > > > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
25 > > >
26 > > > *-bank:1
27 > > >
29 > > > product: Array1_PartNumber0
30 > > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer0
31 > > > physical id: 1
32 > > > serial: A1_SerNum0
33 > > > slot: DIMM_A2
34 > > >
35 > > > *-bank:2
36 > > >
38 > > > product: F3-2133C9-8GXH
39 > > > vendor: Undefined
40 > > > physical id: 2
41 > > > serial: 00000000
42 > > > slot: DIMM_B1
43 > > > size: 8GiB
44 > > > width: 64 bits
45 > > > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
46 > > >
47 > > > *-bank:3
48 > > >
50 > > > product: Array1_PartNumber3
51 > > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer3
52 > > > physical id: 3
53 > > > serial: A1_SerNum3
54 > > > slot: DIMM_B2
55 > > >
56 > > > ========================================
57 > > >
58 > > > These were bought as a set from Amazon:
59 > > >
60 > > > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripjaws-PC17000-2133MHz-Memory-Platforms/dp/B00
61 > > > 7C OT274/
62 > > >
63 > > > but as you can see above only the second module reports a product code
64 > > > (product: F3-2133C9-8GXH), while the first module shows
65 > > > "Array1_PartNumber1".
66 > > >
67 > > > Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the memory module(s),
68 > > > the MoBo, or even the lshw command?
69 > > >
70 > > > --
71 > > > Regards,
72 > > > Mick
73 > >
74 > > Primarily, I suspect that anything over about 1600MHz is going to
75 > > require poking the bios (or uefi) to actually run it at its spec'd
76 > > clock (enabling following the XMP profile defined by the ram, if the
77 > > mobo directly supports doing so, is usually all it takes), otherwise
78 > > it down-steps to either 1333 or 1600 as 'standard' defined speeds for
79 > > ddr3.
80 >
81 > I've set the UEFI memory menu to 'Automatic', so I expect that when I start
82 > compiling stuff it will increase to higher settings.
83
84 Hmm ... it didn't, or at least it wasn't reported by lshw.
87 > > As for why it's not reporting the product, vendor, and s/n's
88 > > properly, I'm not sure. I'd try swapping them to see if the issue
89 > > moves with them, but as long as they're actually able to run stable
90 > > (and reliably) at their spec'd rates, and they really are the sizes
91 > > they claim, I'd be inclined not to care whether the nvram values
92 > > beyond the speed profiles are read properly.
93 >
94 > I've swapped them and I can see that lshw displays exactly the same
95 > information, so it seems like a MoBo issue. Hmmm ...
96 >
97 > I know now that the memory is OK. I'll finish the gentoo installation and
98 > then I will flash the UEFI firmware with a more recent version to see if it
99 > is caused by dodgy firmware.
100 >
101 > Thanks for your help.
102
103 I flashed the MoBo with the latest firmware. The lshw output is the same and
104 swapping the RAM modules does not change what the MoBo reports. Only Bank 2
105 reports the product number.
106
107 I O/C the memory to 2133MHz, at least that's what the UEFI is telling me. The
108 lshw stayed the same reporting 1333MHz as shown above. So, I'm guessing that
109 the UEFI is not talking to lshw in a particularly informative way.
112 Regards,
113 Mick