From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems moving /boot partiton
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:30:39
1 On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I am attempting to move my /boot partition on a specific machine to
4 > make way for a Windows XP dual boot. This machine is the only one with
5 > a graphics adapter that meets the requirements of my son's new game.
6 >
7 > and right now the machine is no longer booting...... Bummer....
8 >
9 > OK, so I used to have
10 >
11 > /dev/sda1 /boot
12 > /dev/sda2 swap
13 > /dev/sda3 /
14 >
15 > and then some higher partitions, and a bunch of unused disk space. To
16 > get ready to add Windows I created two new partitions:
17 >
18 > /dev/sda9 /boot
19 > /dev/sda10 swap
20 >
21 > First I added the new swap to fstab, rebooted and made sure it was
22 > picked up correctly. I then copied everything in the old boot
23 > /dev/sda1 to the new boot /dev/sda9 and modified the grub.conf file on
24 > the new boot partition to ensure it was getting called with new names
25 > for the boot options after I rebooted. I also attempted to change the
26 > boot options themselves to point at the new boot partition. The old
27 > grub.conf and new grub.conf file examples are shown:
28 >
29 > OLD:
30 > title 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
31 > root (hd0,0)
32 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
33 >
34 > NEW:
35 >
36 > title New Layot 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
37 > root (hd0,8)
38 > kernel (hd0,8)/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda3
39 >
40 > When this was complete I ran grub using the commands
41 >
42 > grub
43 > root (hd0,8)
44 > setup (hd0)
45 > quit
46 >
47 > My understand of the above is that the root (hd0,8) says place the
48 > second part of grub on /dev/sda9 (drive 0, partition 8) while the
49 > second says place the first part of grub in the MRB.
50 >
51 > I then rebooted:
52 >
53 > 1) There is a long delay. I then get a message about the kernel file
54 > not being found. Grub drops me into the grub choice screen which is
55 > messed up text.
56 >
57 > 2) I do see the 'New Layout' names so it does seem to be finding
58 > /dev/sda9 with the new text
59 >
60 > 3) None of the options work.
61 >
62 > I've now rebooted using the Gentoo 2006.0 install CD. The kernels
63 > are on /dev/sda9 so it seems grub should be able to find them but it
64 > isn't.
65 >
66 > Can anyone suggest what I'm missing here?
67 >
68 > thanks,
69 > Mark
70 at the grub menu, can you get to the grub command line and do
71 "find /boot/grub/grub.conf"? what drives/partitions does it show that being
72 on?
73
74 if you set this up right, it should find it on both. also, remember in fdisk
75 to set the /dev/sda9 partion's boot flag.
76 --
77 John Jolet
78 Your On-Demand IT Department
79 512-762-0729