From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b: writing dvd brings system to a crawl
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:06:26
1 Am Mittwoch 11 Juli 2007 23:12 schrieb b.n.:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > In the last couple of weeks (that is, from one of the last updates) I
5 > have noticed that k3b (or, better, one of the programs he uses to write
6 > dvds) is much more resource demandin than before. Usually my gentoo
7 > desktop (an old AMD Duron 1800, x86 stable) was able to work quite good
8 > while burning a dvd. Now it becomes extremly slow to react, almost going
9 > to a grinding halt (i.e. keypresses taking seconds to be read). Memory
10 > consumption is negligible, but CPU consuptiom seems to have increased a
11 > lot.
12 >
13 > Anyone else has noticed this problem? Any hint?
14 >
15 > Sorry for the very generic question, but I don't know what further info
16 > could be useful.
17 >
18 > m.
19
20 Seems like your drive does no longer uses dma but pio. Call hdparm -d /dev/dvd
21 as root to check it. If it is not active, try to activate it using
22 hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd.