From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying SRC_URI first during fetching
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 13:36:13
1 On Tuesday 09 June 2009 15:04:54 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 9 Jun 2009, at 05:16, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > Normally, portage will try fetching from GENTOO_MIRRORS during an
4 > > emerge and SRC_URI comes last. I want to reverse this; try SRC_URI
5 > > first and if that fails, only then proceed to fetch from
6 > > GENTOO_MIRRORS. Doable?
7 >
8 > This is undesirable behaviour - te mirrors exist because SRC_URI may
9 > often have limited bandwidth.
10 >
11 > The package's hosting may be donated to the software's author, for
12 > instance, by a 3rd party, so when you go directly to SRC_URI, avoiding
13 > mirrors, you wear out the author's welcome.
14 >
15 > Mirrors are hosted by people with gallons & gallons of bandwidth to
16 > spare, who expect you to use it.
17 >
18 > It makes sense to use the mirrors FIRST.
19
20 Definitely.
21
22 I have to beat users over the head (metaphorically) with a stick to get them
23 to use my mirror. They somehow have the idea that SRC_URI has better quality
24 bits than my ftp server...
25
26 By going to SRC_URI every time, they use up precious international bandwidth
27 instead of local (of which there is heaps). Every six months, when Fedora or
28 Ubuntu does a release, those users can saturate the entire pipe into this
29 *country* - just to get isos that I already have publicly available and am
30 begging them to use.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com