From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trying to find old kernel ebuild
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:27:44
1 On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:47 AM Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am trying to find the ebuild and files for
6 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.18.20 but as its no longer in the tree I
7 > checked the attic but it looks like it is only cvs and no longer in use
8 > for git.
9 >
10 > I couldnt find gentoo sources in the server linked to from the cvs
11 > attic. Is there an equivalent to the attic for git, or a stanza to
12 > retrieve it?
13
14 If you have a git checkout, then chdir to the package directory, and
15 run "git whatchanged ." and search for the ebuild filename in the
16 output to find the commit where it was removed, then go one commit
17 further and check out that commit.
18
19 If you want to do it on the web I'd:
20
21 1. go to https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/
22 2. Click tree
23 3. Navigate to the desired package directory
24 4. Hit log
25 5. Search for 4.18.20 if what you are looking for isn't in the last
26 page, or feel free to browse the history.
27 6. Click on the most recent commit of interest.
28 7. Find the ebuild in the commit, and click on its filename to get the
29 full contents of the ebuild.
30 8. Click on the plain button next to the blob ID to get the raw
31 ebuild. For convenience it is:
32 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/plain/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/gentoo-sources-4.18.20.ebuild?id=966dc9c8c004d79b02cb0250ecef65974164f295
33
34 If you're interested in running non-Gentoo-supported kernel series
35 though I'd suggest just using the upstream kernel repo directly. Then
36 you have access to upstream releases when they are released, even if
37 that series never gets a Gentoo ebuild.
38
39 However, either way you ought to understand what you're doing. 4.18
40 is not supported by upstream or Gentoo. The kernel will obviously
41 work the way it always did, but if there is a security update/etc you
42 won't get it. If you want to avoid significant kernel changes you
43 should try to settle on a longterm kernel, like 4.14 or 4.19, and then
44 just stick with it until a more recent longterm is appropriate. Those
45 get incremental stable updates for a long time.
46
47 I think Gentoo's intent is to keep stable following a longterm branch,
48 but there were some issues with a recent longterm that probably has
49 derailed this a bit. I'm not on the kernel team so you're better off
50 going to them if there are questions. If you want to not have to
51 worry about maintenance then you should either follow upstream or
52 Gentoo, and setting out on your own should only be done to bisect
53 issues or when you know what you're doing...
56 Rich