From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] single package backup
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:54:19
1 Daniel Iliev asks:
2
3 > Let's say there's a new version of a given package. I'd like to make a
4 > backup, update, test and if I liked the old version better restore.
5 >
6 > What is (is there?) the "Gentoo way" to do that?
7
8 Let's assume you upgrade from package/foo-1.0 to package/foo-1.1. You can
9 then use quickpkg to create a backup of foo-1.0, upgrade with emerge -ua
10 foo, and test it. If you are not satisfied, mask the updated version
11 in /etc/portage/package.mask, and emerge -uak foo again in order to
12 downgrade. -k tells emerge to use the binary package built with quickpkg
13 instead of re-compiling.
14
15 quickpkg foo (or quickpkg package/foo-1.0)
16 emerge -ua foo
17 echo ">=package/foo-1.1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
18 emerge -uak foo
19
20 I'm not really sure what happens with config files, though.
21
22 Wonko
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list