From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot speedup
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:06:45
1 On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey writes:
3 >
4 >> On Monday 12 April 2010 17:17:52 Florian Philipp wrote:
5 >> > Unless something is broken, I hardly ever reboot.
6 >>
7 >> How do you take backups?
8 >
9 > I do my backups from the running system, not from a live-cd. I create an
10 > LVM snapshot of the partition, and backup with use rdiff-backup. his way
11 > it does not matter if the partition itself is being modified during the
12 > backup.
13 >
14 >        Wonko
15
16 Is there a good doc to read on this sort of setup? It sounds like what
17 I was thinking I might need.
18
19 This new system I built has RAID1 for Gentoo and backing up data from
20 a RAID0 in the same box. The RAID0 is for running multiple VMs. The
21 VMs are likely to be running 24/7 and I want to catch backups of them
22 pretty often, hourly possibly, and put them on the RAID1. I then have
23 another RAID1 machine where I'll backup everything on this RAID1.
24
25 The deal is I cannot stop the VMs from doing their work so I need some
26 way of getting them backed up while they are live.
27
28 - Mark