From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Approx monthly hard lockups
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 16:35:14
1 May be off topic. I've been experiencing approximately monthly hard
2 lockups on my machine. Dell Inspiron 3252 Shipped Feb 19th, 2016. Atom
3 based machine with 8 gigs of ram.
4
5 gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
6
7 ...tells me it's a "silvermont". I'm running bog standard 64-bit
8 no-multilib Gentoo, a bit on the lean side. By "hard lockup" I mean...
9
10 * {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL} won't reboot
11 * Magic SysRq won't reboot
12 * The Power button powers down, but is unable to reboot (there's a light
13 inside the case that stays on)
14 * I have to flip off the power bar, wait, flip power bar back on, and
15 press the power button
16
17 Are there any utilities I can use to possibly diagnose the problem?
18 Let's just say, I'm now somewhat fanatical about backups every couple of
19 days.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications