From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:36:44
1 >> A little while ago I set up an automated backup system to back up the
2 >> data from 3 machines to a backup server.  I decided to use a
3 >> push-style layout where the 3 machines push their data to the backup
4 >> server.  Public SSH keys for the 3 machines are stored on the backup
5 >> server and restricted to the rdiff-backup command.  Each of the 3
6 >> machines pushes their data to the backup server as a different user
7 >> and the top directory of each backup is chmod 700 to prevent any of
8 >> the 3 machines from reading or writing a backup from another machine.
9 >>
10 >> I've run into a problem with this layout that I can't seem to solve,
11 >> and I'm wondering if I should switch to a pull-style layout where the
12 >> backup server pulls data from each of the 3 machines.
13 >>
14 >> The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
15 >> machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
16 >> of the compromised machine on the backup server.  I can rsync the
17 >> backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
18 >> are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
19 >> next machine will also be deleted or altered.
20 >>
21 >> If I run a pull-style layout and the backup server is compromised, the
22 >> attacker would have root read access to each of the 3 machines, but
23 >> the attacker would already have access to backups from each of the 3
24 >> machines stored on the backup server itself so that's not really an
25 >> issue.  I would also have the added inconvenience of using openvpn or
26 >> ssh -R for my laptop so the backup server can pull from it through any
27 >> router.
28 >>
29 >> What do you think guys?  Are push-style backups flawed and unacceptable?
32 > No, it's not flawed, as long as the implementation is right: versioning and
33 > deduplication.
34 >
35 > With versioning, an attacker (or infiltrator, in this matter) might try to
36 > taint the backup, but all she can do is just push a new version to the
37 > server. You can recover your data by reverting to a prior version.
38
39 Is that true? Wouldn't the infiltrator be able to craft some sort of
40 rdiff-backup command that deletes the entire backup? I can't come up
41 with such a command myself, but I thought I was essentially giving
42 full read/write access of a system's backup to an infiltrator by
43 putting that system's public key on the backup server. I do restrict
44 the key like command="rdiff-backup --server" but I didn't expect that
45 to completely prevent the backup from being wiped out. Does it?
46
47 - Grant
50 > The deduplication part is only to save storage space. It's less necessary if
51 > you have a robust versioning system that can categorize each push as either
52 > canonical/perpetual/permanent or ephemeral/temporary. The system can just
53 > discard old ephemeral pushes when storage becomes critical.