From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DontZap and Ctrl+Alt+Bs
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:13:03
1 On 24 Jul, Igor Nemilentsev wrote:
2 > Hi, list
3 > I have emerged x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.2 with '+hal'.
4 > I have into xorg.conf
5 > Section "ServerFlags"
6 > Option "DontZap" "false"
7 > EndSection
8 >
9 > Nonetheless the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace combination
10 > doesn't work.
11 > Can someone give me advice?
12
13 AFAIK, the DontZap option applies to the key sequences
14 <Alt> <Fx> to switch to a different terminal.
15
16 I have the same problem here (same configuration), i.e.
17 <Ctrl><Alt><Del> doesn't work.
18
19 If you can't exit via your window manager anymore,
20 I think, Neil Bothwick has posted the following advice
21 some days ago:
22
23 If you find yourself without a keyboard or mouse and can't get back to a
24 console, press and hold alt + sysreq then hit R and E. I did this the
25 other day and it took me back to a console.
26
27 You're thinking of the complete Alt-SysRq sequence to (relatively)
28 cleanly reboot. Alt-SysRq-R returns keyboard control after it has
29 been locked out by X. You should then be able to do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get
30 back to your VC.
31
32 I got some SysRq commands printed out tho. Question, do I have to hit
33 > the Alt key each time or what?
34
35 Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The usual
36 full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B
37
38 Reboot
39 Even
40 If
41 System
42 Utterly
43 Broken
44
45 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
46
47 Then for example on tty2 start "sleep 300 ; /etc/init.d/xdm stop ;
48 killall X" and on tty1 do "/etc/init.d/xdm start"
49
50 Another approach is to use acpid. I've read this tip here posted by
51 Volker Hemmann IIRC. If you use acpid, there should be a file called
52 "/etc/acpi/default.sh"
53
54 Modify it, substituting the lines:
55
56 19 case "$action" in
57 20 power)
58 21 /sbin/init 0
59
60 with
61
62 19 case "$action" in
63 20 power)
64 21 /usr/bin/chvt 1
67 then do /etc/init.d/acpid restart.
68
69 Now pressing the power button on your machine should switch to the
70 active TTY to tty1
74 Helmut Jarausch
75
76 Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik