From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone using xfce4 with compositing turned off? [FIXED]
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:57:37
1 On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:08:55 -0400
2 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, August 23, 2015 2:25:47 PM walt wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:53:37 +0200
6 > > bitlord <bitlord0xff@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 19:08 -0700, walt wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > > I forgot about xf86-video-ati until you mentioned it, so I just
11 > > > > emerged
12 > > > > it and (I think) made all the changes needed to reconfigure
13 > > > > Xorg to use
14 > > > > it instead of fglrx.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > Maybe I'm just too tired right now to think straight, but the
17 > > > > error messages I see in Xorg.log tell me that my video chip is
18 > > > > not supported.
19 > >
20 > > > For radeon (free driver) you need to configure more than Xorg,
21 > > > check wiki article about radeon driver [1], It needs in kernel
22 > > > support, also most cards especially "newer" (>=r600) need
23 > > > proprietary firmware.
24 > > >
25 > > >
26 > > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
27 > >
28 > > An excellent wiki page, thanks. It tells me that my video chip
29 > > should be supported so I'll go back and follow all the steps this
30 > > time. I'd like to avoid the proprietary ati driver if I can.
31 >
32 > I had nothing but trouble with the free driver with a kabini APU.
33 > Hibernate would give a black screen on resume. The "Dim screen after
34 > an inactive period" (whatever it's called) would dim it further until
35 > the backlight turns off everytime the period elapses. And a lot of
36 > programs like the adobe flash plugin and other players, and games
37 > would show video that I may have watched even days before but it's
38 > still on video memory when started.
39
40 Ironically, the free driver works better than the proprietary driver on
41 this (desktop) machine. The high CPU usage with xfwm4 is fixed and all
42 other video-related functions (like playing video files) work as well
43 as they did before.
44
45 Power-saving features like the ones used by your kabini introduce a
46 huge amount of complexity -- I'm amazed that anyone ever got the free
47 driver to work with those chips. The only way I got it to work on this
48 machine was to ignore all those dozens of optional steps in the wiki
49 and use the simplest possible configuration -- still so complex that I
50 gave up last night in frustration. This morning brought me better luck.
51
52 > The only problem I've had with the proprietary driver (which may be
53 > realted to your problem) is that if you use a premptive kernel it
54 > causes a LOT of errors to be written to the syslog which makes the
55 > desktop very unresponsive. That's because it calls functions that
56 > should not be called with preemption enabled. If that's your problem
57 > you'll see errors on the syslog and I posted a patch that disables
58 > preemption before calling those functions. It's on a VLC bug (cause
59 > at first I tought it was a VLC related) and I recently noticed that I
60 > still get the errors if I switch between X sessions with CTRL-ALT-Fx
61 > so it's incomplete but it makes things much better. I will update it
62 > and post it on the right bug when I get around it.
63
64 The reason I use mpv instead of VLC is that the video performance is
65 better on this machine. Now that I'm using a different driver I'll
66 give VLC another try.
67
68 BTW thanks for submitting the bug fixes.