From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Follow-up on the HDD problems...
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:20:46
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 23 December 2006 10:23, Chris Walters wrote:
3 >
4 >> Some of you may remember the problem I was having with my SATA II HDD in
5 >> Windows XP (but not in Linux). To recap: My drive got switched from
6 >> UDMA mode to PIO mode in Windows (only). I ended up having to reinstall
7 >> Windows.
8 >>
9 >> After some careful investigation, I found that the problem was caused by
10 >> the copy protection of a game - Superpower 2. Worse, the problem was
11 >> not corrected when I removed the game. It took either a full reinstall
12 >> of the OS, or a restoration of the windows registry from before I
13 >> installed the game to fix this problem.
14 >>
15 >> I know that this will not affect dedicated Linux users, but it can
16 >> affect those of you who use both windows and Linux.
19 > I've never heard of such a case before! I can't even begin to understand why
20 > copy protection will screw up an OS' settings. Have you complained to the
21 > game's suppliers? Following Sony's screw-up with their copy protection
22 > trojan it may be time to start asking for compensation from all game coders
23 > out there who take liberties with your OS (even if half the problem may well
24 > lie with the particular OS?).
27 Actually I've read about such cases before:
30 http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/31/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights-management-gone-too-far.aspx
31
32 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Russinovich
33