From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: BIOS or what
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:30:20
1 On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >  <alain.didierjean <at> free.fr> writes:
5 >> I'm starting to think about my next development desktop. One
6 >> question haunts me:is the BIOS still a fatality? Is there a
7 >> known and tested  alternative available
8 >> UEFI? Open Firmware? coreboot? other? Experience welcome
9 >
10 > Well, I've been researching my next mobo too and
11 > I think that GigaByte (some boards) allow
12 > for 2 bios copies to be stored on the mobo.
13 > That would mean a bios failure is not catastrophic?
14 >
15 > Surely someone on the list has some experience in this,
16 > maybe playing with Gigabyte's "core unlock" feature
17 > to get a X3 running as a quad core?
18 >
19 > James
20
21 One of my Asus boards (Rampage II Extreme) allows two BIOS copies.
22 Everything about the board has been reliable over the year I've owned
23 it so I haven't needed to use it other than a single BIOS update right
24 after I got the board.
25
26 - Mark