From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using systemd timers as a cron replacement
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 00:38:38
1 On Sun, Aug 23 2015, Marc Joliet wrote:
2
3 > Am Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:38:23 -0400
4 > schrieb allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
5 >
6 >> Thank you marc and fernando (fernando, I think your replies go only to
7 >> marc and not to the group).
8 >>
9 >> So it seems the conclusion is timers can't achieve both
10 >> 1. Run only once a day even if you boot often.
11 >> 2. Not starting for at least 10 minutes after boot
12 >>
13 >> I realize that you can achieve 2 outside the timer by having services
14 >> fired by the timer begin with a 10 minute delay.
15 >>
16 >> However, I thought timers were supposed to achieve 1 & 2, since that is
17 >> what I believe you get with vixie-cron + anacron.
18 >>
19 >> Also, since systemd.cron is based on timers, I would think it would have
20 >> the same problem we are discussing.
21 >>
22 >> allan
23 >
24 > FWIW, this is also mentioned in the anacrontab(5) man page that comes with
25 > systemd-cron:
26 >
27 > "There are subtle differences on how anacron & systemd handle persistente timers: anacron will run a weekly job at most once a week, with allways a minimum delay of 6 days between runs; where systemd will try to run it every monday at 00:00; or as soon the system boot. In the most extreme case, if a system was only started on sunday; a weekly job will run this day and the again the next (mon)day.
28 > With carefull manual settings, it would be possible to run the real anacron binary (not your distro's package) with systemd-cron; if you need an identical behaviour.
29 > There is no difference for the daily job."
30 >
31 > I have no idea about the last sentence, since I observe the exact same
32 > behaviour with persistent daily timers.
33 >
34 > HTH
35
36 Thank you for this.