From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:10:06
1 On 9 Feb 2010, at 15:43, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:11:14 +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 >
5 >> You cannot remove one disk from the array and repartition it, because
6 >> the partition is across the array, not the disk. The single disk,
7 >> removed from a RAID 5 (specified by Paul Hartman) array does not
8 >> contain any partitions, just one stripe of them.
9 >
10 > A 3 disk RAID 5 array can handle one disk failing. Although
11 > information
12 > is striped across all three disks, any two are enough to retrieve it.
13 >
14 > If this were not the case, it would be called AID 5.
15
16 Of course you can REMOVE this disk.
17
18 However, in hardware RAID you cannot do anything USEFUL to the single
19 disk.
20
21 In hardware RAID it is the controller card which manages the arrays
22 and consolidates them for the o/s. You attach three drives to a
23 hardware RAID controller, setup a RAID5 array and then the controller
24 exports the array to the operating system as a block device (e.g. /dev/
25 sda). You then run fdisk on this virtual disk and create the
26 partitions. You cannot connect just a partition to a hardware RAID
27 controller.
28
29 Thus in hardware RAID there are no partitions on each single disk,
30 only (as I said before) stripes of the partitions. You cannot usefully
31 repartition a single hard-drive from a hardware RAID set - anything
32 you do to that single drive will be wiped out when you re-add it to
33 the array and the current state of the virtual disk is propagated on
34 to it.
35
36 I hope this explanation makes sense.
37
38 I was not aware that Linux software RAID behaved differently. See
39 Joost's explanation of 9 February 2010 15:27:32 GMT. I asked if you
40 were referring to LVM because I set that up several years ago, and it
41 also allows you to add partitions as PVs. I can see how it would be
42 useful to add just a partition to a RAID array, and it's great that
43 you can do this in software RAID.
44
45 So this:
46