From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Autoloading modules..,
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:51:54
1 On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> [12-03-02 05:32]:
3 >> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >> > Hi,
5 >> >
6 >> > I want to load snd-seq since the /dev/snd/seq device comes up with the
7 >> > wrong permission, if this modules is not loaded. The result is a
8 >> > defunct qjackctrl.
9 >> >
10 >> > I entered
11 >> >
12 >> >    snd-seq
13 >> >
14 >> > into
15 >> >
16 >> >    /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-3.2
17 >> >
18 >> > and it does *not* autoload.
19 >> >
20 >> > I am running
21 >> >
22 >> >    Linux 3.2.9
23 >> >
24 >> > (vanilla kernel).
25 >> >
26 >> > What do have to do additionally to acchieve what I had intended?
27 >> >
28 >> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
29 >>
30 >> Probably not the answer you are looking for but, why do you not
31 >> compile the module directly into the kernel?
32 >>
33 >> Regards.
34 >> --
35 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
36 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
37 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
40 > I heard -- not only in this list -- that loading modules, that
41 > supports hardware, is better than integration the according
42 > modules into the kernel.
43
44 Really? Can't recall that comment on this list. It is certainly more
45 work the first time you install a machine (you need to know your
46 hardware), but in the long run it's easier for a lot of reasons, IMHO.
47
48 I've been running my kernels with everything I need included since
49 ages; laptop with Intel video card, desktop with NVidia (thanks
50 nouveau!), and every server I run. I use the nvidia binary module in
51 my media center, and sometimes I install VMware or VirtualBox, and
52 then I have a couple of modules hanging out. But usually lsmod returns
53 nothing in my machines.
54
55 In particular, all my ALSA drivers are included in my kernel, and they
56 never give me trouble.
57
58 But of course, none of this answers your original question. Good luck with that.
59
60 Regards.
61 --
62 Canek Peláez Valdés