From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can we please get a USB-stick install boot image?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:35:15
1 On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:52:09 -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > There are quite a few machines without CD drives being sold today, but
4 > none that I'm aware of that won't boot from a USB stick. I believe that
5 > USB-stick images, rather than CD images, should be the default
6 > distributed boot images on the mirrors. And think of all the CD's that
7 > won't end up in the landfill, after an install image is used once.
8
9 The problem is what size do you make the image, not all USB sticks are
10 equal. A simpler option is to use Unetbootin to convert the ISO onto a
11 USB stick.
12
13 Incidentally, you could try dd'ing the ISO to a USB stick, this works
14 more often that you might imagine.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 "It compiled? The first screen came up? Ship it!" -- Bill Gates