From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:49:19
1 (Hmm, GMane acting up again. Sorry if this shows up twice; I've sent
2 this yesterday.)
3
4 On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:
5 > I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
6 > safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
7 > me. When does that ever work?
8
9 Oh crap, you said "remote system". Somehow I missed that. Ignore my
11 require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
12 posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)
13
14 The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:
15
16 http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html
17
18 I didn't bother with the panic handler, since I had remote hard-reset
19 functionality (I recommend it; it can save your day.)