From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 18:23:18
1 Francisco Ares wrote:
4 > Em qui., 2 de jan. de 2020 às 07:49, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> escreveu:
6 >
7 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 > > On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 20:27:34 -0600, Dale wrote:
9 > >
10 > >>> If you wait for a few seconds after the backup is completed before
11 > >>> you unmount the drive, you should be OK.  Although it may slow
12 > down
13 > >>> or any LEDs flash less frequently the drive may not stop spinning,
14 > >>> unless there is some power save process taking control of it.
15 > >>>
16 > >> Given the speed, it is likely done when I tell the KDE thingy to
17 > >> unmount.  Usually, I start the backup and walk away for a few
18 > minutes.
19 > >> I do it with one of my scripts, if one can call what I do a
20 > script, and
21 > >> it does the date command at the end.
22 > > Add a sync command to the end of the script to make sure all
23 > filesystem
24 > > buffers are flushed to disk before it finishes.
28 > Now there's a idea.  Between the sync command and the unmount process,
29 > it should be safe for sure.  You made good use of those brain cells.
30 > lol  I didn't think of that and I don't recall anyone else thinking of
31 > it either.  Still wonder what the heck it is doing sometimes tho.
32 >
33 > Dale
34 >
35 > :-)  :-)
38 > Another thing to be considered is S.M.A.R.T. activity, that is proper
39 > to the hard drive firmware.  Don't know if it is safe or not to power
40 > it down during that process though.  I would wait until it really
41 > finishes all activity.
42 >
43 > But do you really need to power it down?  Mechanic (magnetic) hard
44 > drives are known to have shorter lives if they are turned on and off
45 > frequently.  My desk computer is rarely turned off, I have 4 hard
46 > drives, the oldest is close to 10 years old and SMART diagnostics are
47 > always good.
48 >
49 > Best regards,
50 > Francisco
53 That's what I meant when talking about selftest or media checks.  As we
54 know, most all drives have this function nowadays.  As far as I know,
55 all drives do this now, except SSD anyway.  They may have some other
56 thing they do tho.
57
58 I've thought about the power on/off cycle and it's one reason I only
59 back up once a day most all the time.  Sometimes, I may not backup for a
60 couple days or so depending on what's going on.  While my puter runs
61 24/7, I've had drives go bad in them before too.  Something always
62 happens whether it is power on/off or media going bad or just plain
63 mechanical/electrical failure.  It's likely a gamble no matter what one
64 does.  It's always something to consider tho.
65
66 Dale
67