From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:15:14
1 On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 7. September 2011, 23:33:35 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >> > The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think the
4 >> > idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the initramfs
5 >> > will be many times larger than the kernel itself.  Indeed, my /boot
6 >> > partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too small to contain all the
7 >> > extra libraries and programs to run the initramfs script.
8 >>
9 >> I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
10 >> will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
11 >> partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.
12 >
13 > How about accepting the fact, that there are a lot of things out there "you
14 > don't see"? Get over it. People have told a lot of valid reasons. They might
15 > not seem valid to you, but that's not their problem.
16
17 Relax man, I keep saying that is *I* who don't see a valid reason.
18 That doesn't mean there is no valid reason; I thought that went
19 without saying. Sorry if it sounded like I was invalidating all you
20 guys reasons.
21
22 My primary point was that, I *you* have your reasons to keep a
23 separated /usr, then by all means do it. You will only need an
24 initramfs.
25
26 > Have you *ever* thought about machines, that are not x86 or x86_64?
27 > Here's an intersting read:
28 > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72769
29
30 No, I haven't thought about them, because I don't use them. What it
31 has to do with anything?
32
33 >> Change happens.
34 >
35 > That's right. And sometimes these changes are simply bad ideas.
36
37 If so you think, then write the code to support the *really good* ideas.
38
39 >> >> > Mounting it read-only
40 >> >> > seems the only sensible one, and then I think is better to go all
41 >> >> > the way and mount / read-only.
42 >> >>
43 >> >> Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
44 >> >
45 >> > To say the least.
46 >>
47 >> It works, and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
48 >> writting the code.
49 >
50 > Hu? There's one upstream writing all the code for all the stuff we use? That's
51 > news to me.
52
53 Well, in this case by "upstream" I was meaning the Gentoo devs.
54
55 Regards.
56 --
57 Canek Peláez Valdés