From: JD <jd1008@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 01:48:55
1 On 07/02/2011 06:26 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Grant<emailgrant@×××××.com> [11-07-03 01:12]:
3 >>>>> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
4 >>>>> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea. The system is for
5 >>>>> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever. If you're familiar
6 >>>>> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
7 >>>>> as a motherboard and other components? Any features a Gentoo'er
8 >>>>> should look for?
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> - Grant
11 >>>> Is Nvidia still the way to go instead of ATI?
12 >>> Yep. Unless you have old ATI hardware. Current hardware doesn't work well.
13 >>> Since he wants to buy new stuff, NVidia is recommended.
14 >> That's what I was afraid of. The fact that Nvidia has stopped making
15 >> onboard video will pose a problem. I could install an Nvidia video
16 >> card but I'm trying to keep temps low and I don't want a third fan in
17 >> the case.
18 >>
19 >> - Grant
20 >>
21 > Hi Grant,
22 >
23 > half a year ago my motherboard lost its blue smoke and I had to buy a
24 > new PC (the rest of the old one was outdated).
25 >
26 > One of my thoughts was: No graphics card with a fan!
27 >
28 > But the guy in the store said, that graphics cards without a fan has a
29 > problem: Either they are to slow (less heat) to be bought by the
30 > people or they are fast enough to be bought, but they will die
31 > sooner/easier due to a too hot GPU.
32 >
33 > He gave me a card with fans and said: "If you hear something too loud
34 > -- bring it back."
35 > I tested the card and: Nothing. The only thing I hear is the very
36 > quiet fan of the PC case.
37 >
38 > The card is a: MSI N430GT PCI Express 2.0.
39 >
40 > It has two fans, which means lesser noise since both fans can run
41 > at lower speed.
42 >
43 > You said, you will not need a gamer graphics card. But if you are a
44 > fan of rendering (Blender,Luxrendere etc...) you may consider a card
45 > with more muscles since GPU based rendering is the way to go.
46 >
47 > BUT:
48 > When reading the driver informations from nvidia I found that the
49 > sections saying "Added support for...." are still missing the GT 430.
50 > I dont know whether this has any impact to you work -- the card runs
51 > well with Linux and the OpenGL-based Blender does not have any
52 > problems (its GPU based render engine is currently under development
53 > so I didnt test that...)
54 >
55 > If you are intereseted in the setup of my PC, post me a mail!
56 >
57 > Best regards,
58 > mcc
59 Interesting recommendation.
60 Which of the two has a better history of providing good
61 support for linux drivers for their products?