From: Jim Burwell <jimb@××××.cc>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Console vanishes after X server is run
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 08:33:30
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm having an issue with text console of one of my gentoo boxes not
4 coming back after the X server exits. The console is there and works
5 fine up to the point when the X server starts (for instance, when gdm
6 comes up). After this, using the key sequences to call up the text
7 vtys, shutting down gdm, etc, results in a black screen.
8
9 I've tried the various key combos, etc, and the screen just stays black
10 until the system is rebooted (it stays black until the system warm boots
11 and the BIOS screen pops up), or until an X server is started up again
12 (gdm will start up and display the login screen normally). It's as if
13 the whatever is responsible for switching the video mode and/or FB
14 address back to the console settings is not doing its job.
15
16 I run gensplash and the vesa-tng frame buffer drivers. The graphics
17 card I have is an old Nvidia GeForce 3, and I run the Nvidia binary
18 drivers (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) under Xorg 7.0. Here is my boot line:
19
20 kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0
21 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/vg00/root dolvm2 lvmraid=/dev/md0
22 lvmraid=/dev/md1 video=vesafb:1280x1024-16@75
23 splash=verbose,fadein,mtrr,theme:livecd-2006.0 quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
24 initrd (hd0,0)/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-gentoo-r12
25
26 (1280x1024-16 mode is listed in the /proc/fb0/modes file, so it's a
27 valid BIOS mode)
28
29 Any ideas ? Suggestions ?
30