From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:24:06
1 Hi James,
2
3 On Jan 30, 2008 5:26 AM, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
4 [ -- SNIP -- ]
5 > Portage *does not* look at CFLAGS in determining what to rebuild (even
6 > with -uDN) - portage only looks at USE flags and dependency
7 > upgrades/versions. Mike is correct in saying that, for packages to be
8 > recompiled with the new CFLAGS, he would have to recompile that
9 > package directly. emerge -e world is a good way to do this.\
10 >
11 > -James
12
13 Yeah, that's what I thought. CFLAGS are only passed to gcc when it's
14 executed by portage. I would expect that for any change to CFLAGS, all
15 packages will need to be recompiled for those new CFLAGS to be
16 utilized. Whether they will have any effect on the compiled result is
17 another matter.
18
19 > Removing Pango will almost definitely increase the render/scroll speed
20 > of Firefox.
21 >
22 > However, from the symptoms that Mike is describing (system-wide
23 > momentary pauses, after which the system resumes normal
24 > responsiveness) sounds much more like a kernel-level issue - either
25 > I/O speed issues (check to make sure your hard drive is running at
26 > full speed and you have native controller supported compiled in to
27 > your kernel - also, what is your I/O scheduler set to by default?) or
28 > the Scheduler (process scheduler). What version of which kernel are
29 > you running? What does your .config look like?
30 >
31 > I had similar issues with momentarily frozen responsiveness on my
32 > laptop, until I upgraded to 2.6.23.x, which has the new CFS scheduler
33 > in it - seems to help responsiveness quite a bit.
34
35 Looking around `make menuconfig` I found a few settings which I'm not
36 sure about, so I'll post them here:
37 [*] Processor type and features -> Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)
38 [ ] Processor type and features -> High Resolution Timer Support
39 [*] Processor type and features -> 64 bit Memory and IO resources (EXPERIMENTAL)
40 Processor type and features -> Timer frequency -- currently set to 250 Hz
41
42 For completeness, the .config for my 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 kernel is here:
43 http://pastebin.ca/881174
44
45 Thanks!
46 Mike