From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] repair damaged pdf?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:04:48
1 On Thursday 14 April 2011 22:30:01 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 14.04.2011 23:08, schrieb Liviu Andronic:
3 > > Dear all
4 > > What is your experience with corrupted PDF files? Do you know any tool
5 > > that can attempt to repair damaged PDF files? Does it make any sense
6 > > to edit a PDF file in hex mode?
7 > >
8 > > I have a damaged PDF that cannot be opened with any of the about 10
9 > > tools that I've just tried.
10
11 > Well, you could try app-text/qpdf from the benf overlay. It has an
12 > option to suppress recovery of damaged files so it looks like it at
13 > least tries to repair them per default.
14 >
15 > If you don't want to install layman and overlays, you can send me the
16 > file off-list and I take a look.
17 >
18 > One good thing about PDF is that its structure is stored uncompressed
19 > (AFAIK it only compresses text and binary data with zlib since version
20 > 1.2). This means that it might be at least partially recoverable.
23 You can also try pdfclean in case it reads it, from the package app-text/mupdf
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick