From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev rules for an iPod Touch?
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:50:03
1 On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Friday, November 04, 2011 06:03:55 PM Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> 2011/11/4 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com>:
4 >> > Did you install app-pda/ifuse and app-pda/libimobiledevice (dependency
5 >> > of ifuse and gtkpod)?. I do not recall touching any udev rule.
6 >> >
7 >> > Greetings,
8 >> >
9 >> > --
10 >> > Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> http://www.jorgeml.net
11 >> >       Google Talk / XMPP: jorgeml@×××××.com
12 >>
13 >> Hi Jorge,
14 >>    Thanks for the ifuse idea. ifuse /mnt/ipod does seem to get the
15 >> device mounted. However just poking around in the /mnt/ipod directory
16 >> isn't very clear by itself about how music (and one day hopefully
17 >> videos) are stored. Maybe I can find some info somewhere to help with
18 >> that if necessary.
19 >>
20 >>    Even with the device mounted it doesn't seem to be visible to
21 >> gtkpod, and there aren't any new USB disk messages in dmesg. Just a
22 >> single ifuse message is all that's added.
23 >>
24 >>    Well, at least I can sort of communicate with the ipod even if I
25 >> cannot do anything interesting yet.
26 >>
27 >>    Thanks!
28 >>
29 >> - Mark
30 >
31 > Mark,
32 >
33 > I haven't played with my iPod touch yet, but the "older" models all worked
34 > with gtkpod.
35 > You might need to tell gtkpod to "open" the ipod by pointing it where it is
36 > mounted.
37 >
38 > Menu: "Edit" -> "Repository/iPod Options"
39 > Then click on "Add new repository/iPod" and fill in the details for your iPod.
40 > (The backup-file is in my home-dir on my desktop for mine)
41 >
42 > Any files you manually copy to the iPod will NOT be picked up as a database
43 > file needs to be updated as well.
44 >
45 > Apple also has this annoying tendency to change the DB-structure for every
46 > version and gtkpod needs to have specific support for your model for it to
47 > work.
48 >
49 > --
50 > Joost
51
52 Hi Joost,
53 Ah...insomnia...a great excuse for playing with computers and
54 answering emails... ;-)
55
56 I had the same idea about telling gtkpod to use this specific iPod
57 when I started with this, but as best I can tell so far gtkpod won't
58 see the iPod unless it shows up in dmesg as a USB disk drive. I
59 believe I read that on their Wiki and was going to try and find the
60 link at www.gtkpod.org to verify that but the web site isn't
61 responding right now. I'll double check that later.
62
63 The iPod she has is a First Generation version. It won't run iOS
64 more recent that 3.x so she cannot get any of the newer features with
65 iOS5 like NetFlix movies. (At least as far as I can tell so far. I
66 haven't checked that out very much yet.)
67
68 My real need here is pretty small. I was trying to find something
69 nice for my wife 'cause she's been doing nice things for me, but
70 there's no rush on this. My personal interest was really because I've
71 got a Kindle Fire coming in a couple of weeks which I want to use to
72 watch movies when I'm donating blood. (I do that a lot because my
73 blood is pretty unique.) Anyway, I figured out Handbrake for ripping
74 my DVD collection and was going to use the iPod to test the video
75 playback. Anyway, I can probably do that from a Windows VM, or worst
76 case boot my laptop into Windows and do it native if required.
77
78 Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.
79
80 Cheers,
81 Mark