From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr/local/portage does not seem to have a valid PORTDIR structure.
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:53:04
1 Norberto Bensa schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
3 >
4 >> you're using sudo. I find many anomolies in sudo;
7 > Why does people hate sudo so much?
8 >
9 Actually, I don't hate sudo at all; I use it all the time, and it saves
10 a lot of difficulty. I just get annoyed because I, in my ignorance,
11 generally expect it to act like a "super su", and it doesn't-- in fact,
12 it's something else by design, but I don't know enough about the
13 underlying design and the reasons for it, to not fall into the mistaken
14 assumption if I attempt to use sudo "on the fly", as it were.
15
16 Which ultimately means that I have to either set sudo up very carefully,
17 or pay very close attention when using it on the fly, or use an
18 alternative, and two out of three of those choices obviate my reason for
19 using sudo, which is to be able to perform certain root functions
20 *quickly*, without breaking stride in the overall operation I'm performing.
21
22 For example, I get the mail saying what updated packages I have
23 available, I run a --pretend emerge, am not happy with the USE flags,
24 and so want to change them, meaning I have to edit root-only files. I
25 can run nano using either su or sudo, but either way I have to input a
26 password (under normal circumstances), and the passwords aren't the
27 same, meaning I have to think about something else (am I running su or
28 sudo, and which one uses which password), which is a distraction from
29 the job at hand.
30
31 So unless I set sudo (and in fact ~/.bashrc) up to not interrupt the
32 flow of my main activity (which I have taken some pains to do), sudo is
33 no better than su -- and the fact that sudo does not do some things that
34 su - does (unless explicitly set up to do them), just makes the
35 situation worse.
36
37 But I assume that this is most likely because I'm using sudo for
38 purposes that it can handle, but are not strictly within its design
39 parameters.... naturally the fit is not perfect. I'm sure that if I was
40 a server admin, using sudo to manage root access privileges in defined
41 areas for defined groups, it would be a much smoother ride.
42
43 The fact that a coin can unscrew a screw, but is not the best or most
44 comfortable tool to do so, is no reflection on the coin, nor the screw.
45 In fact, I'm just glad that the coin can do double-duty. What a waste of
46 time and energy it would be to hate such a tool, for taking advantage of
47 a bit of luck in both designs.
50 >> there's a problem with your ebuild, which also uses the PORTDIR
51 >> variable.
54 > I've found the problem. Portage doesn't like packge-0.0.1beta.
55 > Instead you must name it like package-0.0.1_beta. Now I need to do
56 > some magic inside the ebuild to s/_//
57 >
58 > Many thanks!
59
60 Well, I'm sure you can handle that bit of ebuild magic. Glad to have
61 been of help in finding the problem.
62
63 Holly
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list