From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dovecot problem
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:35:21
1 michael@××××××××××××.com schreef:
2 > I'm having a problem with dovecot. I upgraded dovecot yesterday to
3 > 0.99.14-r1, although dovecot --version still claims to be 0.99.14
6 I don't know how to fix your problem (sorry); just wanted to mention
7 that the reason that the version is still claimed to be 0.99.14 is
8 because it *is* 0.99.14-- usually revisions (-r#) relate to the *ebuild*
9 being revised, not the program. If the program is itself revised,
10 upstream changes the version number most of the time; for example to
11 0.99.15, indicating a relatively minor release update. This is a good
12 thing, because if the source has changed, you will then have to download
13 a new tarball due to the new release number, whereas if Gentoo revised
14 an updated tarball with an -r1, you would probably miss the changes,
15 because the old tarball would still be in /distfiles/ and Portage would
16 not think it had to download a new one.
17
18 Good luck with solving the issue with the program itself.
19
20 Holly
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list