From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Framebuffer and kenerl options
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:53:25
1 Installing from scratch and getting confused about where the kernel
2 framebuffer stuff is.
3
4 Quoting from the handbook here:
5
6 ---
7 First of all you need to know what type of framebuffer device you're
8 using. If you use a Gentoo patched kernel tree (such as
9 gentoo-sources) you will have had the possibility of selecting
10 vesafb-tng as the VESA driver type (which is default for these kernel
11 sources).
12
13 If this is the case, you are using vesafb-tng and do not need to set a
14 vga statement. Otherwise you are using the vesafb driver and need to
15 set the vga statement.
16 ---
17
18 I did use the gentoo-sources. I did not use genkernel.
19
20 I didn't see anything about vesafb-tng in the make menuconfig options
21 nor in the resulting .config. I'm assuming its under Graphic Drivers
22 section?
23
24 In older kernels I remember this being obvious but not in this one.
25
26 The install manual tells you that you have to know which type of
27 device but I wasn't able to tell where in the kernel config this is?
28
29 I've run gentoo for about a year or more and have never really got the
30 framebuffer stuff to work like I wanted, so have just ignored it all
31 that time. I'd now like to get it working finally.
32
33 Seemed the stumbling block has always been getting the large console
34 resolution 1280x1024. This is easily accomplished in lilo so I've
35 been running that way, but then ... no framebuffer.
36
37 Waaaa I want the gentoo trademark too.....
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list