From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dynamic deps, wtf are they exactly
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:07:56
1 Does anyone here know what dynamic deps are exactly, how they work and
2 can describe them?
3
4 There's lots of talk over on -dev about getting rid of them and the
5 closest description is from Ciaran, something like:
6
7 "ancient shit that never worked right, involving phases of the moon"
8
9 10 days ago I switched to --dynamic-deps=m in make.conf, had to emerge
10 -e world to get around all the resulting kde hard blocks, and all was
11 good till today, kio-extras was blocking plasma-workspace in impossible
12 ways, noticeably that the block wasn't in the ebuild at all :-)
13
14 kio-extras and dolphon were to be upgraded, plasma-workspace was not.
15 I've fixed it (remerge plasma-workspace to clean up cruft).
16
17 I would have thought emerge -e would have cleaned all that stuff out,
18 maybe it's related to removing the kde overlay.
19
20 So, my question: wtf are dynamic deps? How do I find the records they
21 must leave behind in portage?
22 --
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com