From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-server
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:03:59
1 On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 13:01 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Personally, I can't see why all these additional config files and locations
4 > are required, rather than a single /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have found all these
5 > back and forth changes to fdi's, xorg.conf.d and what have you, unnecessary
6 > and annoyingly time wasting.
7 >
8 > Of course I might have missed something simple in all this kerfuffle, so
9 > please chime in if there is a better way around this.
10
11 If all you are worried about is making your touchpad work in X, and
12 you're willing to pull it up in a text editor every time you need to
13 make a change, then no, you didn't really miss anything.
14
15 The purpose of xorg.conf.d is to allow packages/utilities/etc to drop in
16 changes to your X config seamlessly, as in, without the user being
17 required to take any specific action. For example, the synaptics input
18 driver drops a 50-synaptics.conf file into your xorg.conf.d that
19 includes a simple "this is a touchpad" configuration, which would take
20 effect just by restarting X.
21
22 The purpose of udev is to configure all of the hardware on your system,
23 not just for X. It's how GNOME/KDE/whatever is able to automount your
24 USB key when it shows up, and knows that /dev/sr0 is a dvd-rom drive,
25 etc. Just as with HAL, using udev to configure X-specific options is
26 probably overkill. In theory, other GUI systems besides X could just as
27 easily read the x11 options from udev and use them. Since there isn't
28 really any such alternative, the practical benefits of udev over a
29 monolithic xorg.conf file mostly vanish.
30
31 --Mike