From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin, CPU usage and process ID to which window.
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 09:56:06
1 Franz Fellner wrote:
2 > On Mon Sep 7 22:05:36 2020, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Another question.  I use top to see what is using the CPU so much.  When
4 >> it is Dolphin, I can't tell which window it is.  I sometimes have a few
5 >> instances of Dolphin open at the same time.  Sometimes I have my spot
6 >> marked by highlighting a file or files.  If I kill it, I don't get to
7 >> write down where I was.  Thing is, I can't tell from top which window it
8 >> is that is using the CPU more than it should.  Is there a way to figure
9 >> out which process goes with which window or running instance of
10 >> Dolphin?  In top, it shows a ID number like this.
11 > In a console run:
12 >
13 > xprop _NET_WM_PID
14 >
15 > Your cursor will turn into a crosshair.
16 > now click on the first dolphin window.
17 > In the console you now get something like
18 >
19 > _NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 576073
20 >
21 > Compare the number with the PID in top from the dolphin instance
22 > with high CPU usage.
23 > If it is the same you have your instance.
24 > If not repeat with the next dolphin window.
29 I have a lot of desktops here.  If I run that command in a Konsole, can
30 I still click to switch to the desktop that Dolphin is running on?  I
31 have to click to switch since the usual offender is on desktop 12, 13 or
32 14.  I can't switch there with the F keys.  It seems something else uses
33 those shortcuts.
34
35 Now to read up a little on that command.  Never heard of it before.
36
37 Dale
38