From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 4.2 and Core 2 Duo
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:43:18
1 Kenneth Prugh wrote:
2 > Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> The question is: must I replace '-march=nocona' with '-mtune=native and -march=native'?
5 >>>>
6 >>> I have a Core2 Duo E6600 and use these CFLAGS with GCC 4.2:
7 >>>
8 >>> CFLAGS="-Os -march=native -mtune=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mmmx
9 >>> -msse2 -msse3"
10 >>>
11 >>> Native works fine here.
12 >>>
13 >> Kenneth, thanks! I'll try your flags-string. I hope, there aren't any
14 >> resons to rebuld anything else after switching form 4.1.2 with curennt
15 >> flags to 4.2.0 with youe flags. Is it true?
18 > Personally I rebuilt everything on my system because I wanted everything
19 > to be compiled under my shiny new toolchain. I accomplished it via this:
20 >
21 > # emerge -eav system
22 > # emerge -eav world
23 >
24 > However, I don't believe you _have_ to rebuild. GCC 4.1 and 4.2 should
25 > be binary compatible. I know that my GCC 4.1 LibTorrent works fine with
26 > a GCC 4.2 built rtorrent, so I would like to say it should work fine.
30 I have a script that you can run that rebuilds everything only once and
31 it is a complete bottom to top rebuild. No need to do a system then
32 world this way. I got it off the forums and I have used it a few times
33 and it works very well for me so far. If you want it, I can send it to
34 you off list or post it here for everybody that wants to save a copy. I
35 have not used it in a while so I'm not sure if portage changes may have
36 made it not work anymore.
37
38 Let me know.
39