From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crossdev arm-unknown-linux-gnu failed
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:34:51
1 On 05/28 12:11, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
3 > > On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 05:06:43AM +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> too feed a STM32F103C8T6 MCU (Core-M3) with some code to execute,
7 > >> I want a compiler. For that I did a
8 > >>
9 > >> crossdev arm-unknown-linux-gnu
10 > >>
11 > >> . That one failed to build (gcc, binytils seem to be ok).
12 > >>
13 > > That triplet is not going to work for that hardware for two reasons:
14 > >
15 > > - bare-metal implies no kernel so 'linux' is wrong
16 > > - gnu (== glibc) is not going to work on bare-metal
17 > >
18 > > What you're looking for is 'arm-none-eabi', that's what all the vendor
19 > > supplied prebuilt toolchains use. That triplet will use 'newlib' as the
20 > > libc, which is the correct choice for bare-metal.
21 > >
22 > > I wouldv'e said 'arm-unknown-linux-eabi' or the gentoo specific
23 > > 'armv7m-softfloat-none-eabi' but for some reasons the binutils
24 > > build chokes on that. However compared to arm-none-eabi the only thing
25 > > these triplets do is change some of the configured defaults (arch/fpu/...,
26 > > see /usr/portage/eclass/toolchain.eclass), so you should be fine with
27 > > 'arm-none-eabi'.
30 > arm-none-eabi is also what I'm using here on a similar platform.
31 >
32 > To the OP, if you only need to build some program for ARM and not install a gentoo system
33 > on the target then you could download the pre-built cross-compiler toolchain from the ARM
34 > site (https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads).
35 >
36 > raffaele
39 Hi Raffaele,
40
41 your suggestion put a friendly smile onto my face:
42 No, I dont want compile a Gentoo System... :)
43 I want to compile a FORTH (Mecrisp Stellaris by Matthias Koch) for an
44 STM32F103C8T6 (72Mhz, one core, 128Kb Flash 20kb RAM). This is jut
45 0.23 nm above "pure assembler".
46 So your suggestion is very welcome and exactlu what I need after quite
47 a few failed iterations about the name of that game.
48
49 Thanks a lot, Raffaele! This day has been rescued! :) ;)
50
51 Cheers!
52 Meino
53
54 For those, who may like a quirky yet genious programming language and
55 who are not frightened by its age or by being responsible for the stack
56 themselves:
57 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)
58 Still a good thing for microcontrollers due to its compact size,
59 small footprint and excellent exection speed due to the fact,
60 that Mecrisp Stellaris compiles to native assembler right on the
61 board. This language is compiler and interpreter at the same time.
62 http://hightechdoc.net/mecrisp-stellaris/_build/html/
63 http://mecrisp.sourceforge.net/
64 https://sourceforge.net/projects/mecrisp/files/
65 The STM32F103C8T6 minimum dev board aka "blue pill" can be bought
66 online for under 2 $.
67
68 No...this is not meant aa an advertisement...I am only a nerd... ;)
69 And the above is all OpenSource!
70
71 Cheers again!
72 Meino