From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:53:58
1 On 09/17/2013 08:20 AM, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
3 > running. I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
4 > RAID10. It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
5 > 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
6 >
7 > Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
8 >
9 > From a RAID perspective only, is ZFS a better choice than conventional
10 > software RAID?
11 >
12 > ZFS seems to have many excellent features and I'd like to ease into
13 > them slowly (like an old man into a nice warm bath). Does ZFS allow
14 > you to set up additional features later (e.g. snapshots, encryption,
15 > deduplication, compression) or is some forethought required when first
16 > making the filesystem?
17 >
18 > It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
19 > (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
20 > world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
21 > installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
22 >
23 > Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points. Is it
24 > considered suitable for a high-performance server?
25 >
26 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
27 >
28 > Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
29 >
30 > - Grant
31 >
32 Howdy,
33 been reading this thread and am pretty intrigued, ZFS is much more than
34 i thought it was.
35 I was wondering though does ZFS work as a multiple client single storage
36 cluster such as GFS/OCFS/VMFS/OrangeFS ?
37 I was also wondering if anyone could share their experience with ZFS on
38 iscsi - especially considering the readahead /proc changes required on
39 same system ?
40 thanks!