From: "Schleimer
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:30:58
1 I understand that writing zeros over the file should permenately delete the data but couldn't the data be cached elsewhere on the drive, especially with journalling filesystems??
2
3 Cheers,
4 Ben
5
6 "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
7 Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
8 by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
12 ----- Original Message ----
13 From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
14 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 Sent: Tue 31 Jan 2006 02:56:25 PM IST
16 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
17
18 Iain Buchanan wrote:
22 >I've heard of government departments filing down the old HD's into
23 >little pieces, then mixing them in cement for the next building project.
24 >Could be an urban legend though.
25 >
26 >All of the above is subject to my own bad memory :)
30 I have heard the same thing. I have watched some of them on TV get data
31 off some unbelievable drives. Some had bent platters, serious
32 scratches, been formatted a few times etc etc etc, After all that,
33 they still got enough of what they wanted. They put a chemical on one
34 and you could see the data with your eyes. It looked like a round bar
35 code sort of.
36
37 Whatever you use, if it does it quickly, it ain't worth the time.
38 Really erasing something and rewriting data over it takes a bit of
39 time. That little light should be on a while. I still wouldn't count
40 on it. Shreading it and putting it in concrete may be a good idea.
41 Maybe putting it in a MRI machine would help too. I would leave the
42 room though. O_O
43
44 Dale
45 :-)
48 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
49
50 I have four rigs:
51
52 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
53 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
54 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
55 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
56
57 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list