From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pinentry doesn't work with Emacs anymore
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 16:10:57
1 On 2021-02-20 15:52+0000 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday, 20 February 2021 15:22:45 GMT tastytea wrote:
4 > > Hi!
5 > > A short while ago, pinentry-gtk2 was removed from
6 > > app-crypt/pinentry. Around the same time, app-crypt/gnupg was
7 > > updated. Since then, I can not use the gpg-agent from whithin Emacs
8 > > (--deamon) anymore. When I commit something with Magit, I get no
9 > > password dialog but this error message instead:
10 > >
11 > > error: gpg failed to sign the data
12 > >
13 > > After I add the key to the agent in another way (with `echo "test"
14 > > | gpg --clearsign` for example), it works in Emacs again. So it
15 > > seems that there is something wrong with my pinentry setup.
16 > >
17 > > I tried pinentry-gnome3 and pinentry-qt5, it makes no
18 > > difference. GPG_AGENT_INFO is known to Emacs.
19 > >
20 > > This is my ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:
21 > >
22 > > default-cache-ttl 43200
23 > > max-cache-ttl 86400
24 > > default-cache-ttl-ssh 21600
25 > > max-cache-ttl-ssh 86400
26 > > pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry
27 >
28 > I have the same entry in my gpg-agent.conf and it works fine, but I
29 > do not use emacs.
32 > > Does anybody know what the problem might be?
33 > >
34 > > Kind regards, tastytea
35 >
36 > My /usr/bin/pinentry is linked to pinentry-qt:
37 >
38 > $ ls -la /usr/bin/pinentry
39 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 21 2019 /usr/bin/pinentry ->
40 > pinentry-qt
41 >
42 > You could set this manually, or with eselect, or I think your desktop
43 > environment will set it for you.
44
45 I did set it with eselect. pinentry works fine when I use gpg in the
46 terminal. It seems to be a problem with gpg inside Emacs.
49 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
50 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.