From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:23:45
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/27/2010 12:49 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
4 >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
5 >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
6 >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
7 >
8 > You do the labeling *before* you switch to the new kernel. Once you
9 > get it working correctly with your current kernel, then you can
10 > upgrade to the new ATA drivers and it will just work (which is the
11 > whole point of this exercise.)
14 I hadn't thought of that feature. It should work regardless of which
15 kernel I boot, either the old IDE drivers or the new PATA drivers. Cool !!!
16
17 Time to start taking notes and putting ducks beaks to duck tails.
18
19 Dale
20