From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Core 2 duo: Building threaded program versions
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:39:37
1 On Monday 8 January 2007 21:16, Nico Schümann wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > I recently set up a Core 2 duo system. Following the AMD64 howto, the
6 > system now works. Kernel compilation took 1:40 minutes passing -j6 to
7 > make.
8 >
9 > Then I tried to bunzip a large file and found out that the machine was
10 > about 40 % in idle which is clear because bzip2 is only one process.
11 > So is there any way to build those utilities like bzip2 or gzip in a
12 > thread-using way?
13
14 Use pbzip2, a parallel version of bzip2. It's in portage.
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list